Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hardball

Secrets. I didn’t realize how much I missed V.I. Warshawski until Sara Paretsky wrote the latest novel in the series titled, Hardball. After just a few pages, I remembered the reading pleasure from earlier books in the series. In many ways, both Paretsky and V.I. are continuing to improve. In Hardball, private detective V.I. Warshawski accepts a low-paid assignment from an elderly dying woman to find Lamont Gadsden, missing for forty years. V.I. tracks down leads and uncovers secrets that were long buried. Along the way, she wonders about her late father’s role in police corruption and illegal practices. The south side of Chicago, past and present, comes alive on these pages, as if it, too, is a character. V.I.’s twenty-three-year-old cousin, Petra, adds lots of energy to Hardball, and reprised characters from prior novels remain reliable, giving V.I. much-needed help in her perilous work to uncover secrets held closely for decades.

Rating: Four-star (Highly Recommended)

Click here to purchase Hardball from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment