Friday, February 19, 2010

Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer

Locavore. I found myself both laughing and wincing as I read Novella Carpenter’s Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer. Any reader wanting to glimpse into a way of living that’s more likely than not to be opposite from one’s own will find a lot of reading pleasure here. Carpenter describes growing food as a squatter on a lot next to the apartment she rented, and also keeping bees, raising rabbits and even raising two pigs, all in the city of Oakland, California. Dumpster diving three times a week at gourmet restaurants to find food for the hogs made me wince. The smells of the place also came alive for me, and made me glad that I don’t live next door. Humor and lightheartedness reign throughout, and Carpenter tells a light story with grace and ease. Farm City may lead some readers to reconsider eating locally.

Rating: Three-star (Recommended)
Click here to purchase Farm City from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment