Friday, April 27, 2012

When I Was a Child I Read Books

Cogent. I read each of the ten essays in Marilynne Robinson’s collection, When I Was a Child I Read Books, in a single sitting on separate days. I needed to engage my wits to follow her thorough and thoughtful arguments, and then needed a rest afterwards to absorb what I read. She must be the kind of teacher for whom alert students should schedule free time after her class for recovery. In many respects, she comes across as a writer’s writer, with her careful choice of words and deliberative style. There may not be a better contemporary description of liberal Christianity and its sources and demands. Readers of her novels will gain insight from these essays and may consider re-reading the novels in light of the revelations from these essays. Any reader who appreciates fine writing and cogent reflection should consider reading the book. Rating: Three-star (Recommended) Click here to purchase When I Was a Child from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment