Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Long Man

Water. I can’t think of what Amy Greene could have done better in her novel, Long Man. Using fewer than three hundred pages, Greene transports readers to depression-era Tennessee. She adds tension to the plot as a TVA dam is flooding the town of Yuneetah, and some residents, including the strong protagonist, Annie Clyde Dodson, feel so bound to this land that they don’t want to leave. Annie Clyde’s three-year-old daughter, Gracie, goes missing. Heavy rain is causing the river to rise. Multiple characters with their own backstories add to the drama unfolding. Water itself comes to life in this novel as if it, too, were a character. Plot, setting and characters combine so well that it is easy for me to recommend this book. Greene’s lyrical prose put this novel over the top for me, and led me to give it the highest rating. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Long Man from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment