Friday, July 24, 2015

Go Set a Watchman

Unedited. I read Harper Lee’s novel, Go Set a Watchman, on the day of its release. Given all the publicity about this book, I was curious and wanted to read for myself whether it was as finely written as To Kill a Mockingbird. It is not. I found myself thinking often as I read the narrative that the text lacked the benefits that come from the expert work of a talented editor. While there are some interesting themes of blindness, paternalism and maturity, none of them satisfied me. The prose was didactic, and the dialogue weak. While the reprised characters in this novel are more complex than in the earlier novel, they are also more ordinary and less heroic. A wise editor would have steered the author toward finer prose, improved dialogue, and a better plot. Perhaps that’s exactly what happened decades ago. Sate your curiosity if you wish, but there are many finer books to read, and I can’t recommend this one. Rating: Two-star (I didn’t like it) Click here to purchase Go Set a Watchman from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment