Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Sellout

Re-segregation. After reading just a few pages of Paul Beatty’s novel, The Sellout, I knew I was reading something special, and I slowed down my reading pace to enjoy his satire. Beatty’s humor is well honed and his uses that along with superb writing skills to turn readers’ minds inside out. It’s tricky business to offer satire on race and identity in America, and Beatty navigates that landscape with dexterity. The narrator’s scheme to reinstate slavery and re-segregate schools is presented with such aplomb that I found myself absorbed in the community and aligned with the people in the fictional town of Dickens on the southern edge of Los Angeles. Readers who like satire and sharp humor are those most likely to enjoy reading this finely written novel. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Sellout from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment