Friday, November 18, 2016

Eileen

Darkness. I let Ottessa Moshfegh’s debut novel, Eileen, sit in my reading queue for a long time. I heard it was a dark story, and I kept choosing other things to read, especially on cloudy days. Once I started reading the novel, I gave myself over to Moshfegh’s great talent, and I was impressed and delighted by the fine writing and great skill in presenting a memorable character in her 70s reflecting on formative events fifty years earlier. Readers are drawn into Eileen’s mind. The descriptions of Eileen’s life with her alcoholic father were very hard to read. There’s a twist that surprised me and pushed the novel to a higher plane. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to read it. Fans of finely written literary fiction, especially those with a high tolerance for reading about abuse are those most likely to appreciate this outstanding novel. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Eileen from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment