Tuesday, April 3, 2018

A Really Big Lunch: The Roving Gourmand on Food and Life

Appetite. A posthumous collection of essays by Jim Harrison is titled, A Really Big Lunch: The Roving Gourmand on Food and Life. All of these pieces have been published before, and whether I read some before or not, I found I enjoyed this smorgasbord of fine writing about eating and drinking and living a life of culinary abundance. The title refers a thirty-seven course meal that Harrison enjoyed in France and about which he wrote eloquently in the New Yorker. Harrison’s enthusiastic delight in sensual pleasure fills every page of this collection. Lent was the wrong season of the year for me to read this collection. After every essay I realized that I am not eating and drinking nearly enough. Harrison’s wit enlivens every essay and the best tribute would be to read essay and toast the author with a glass or bottle or three of fine wine and great food. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase A Really Big Lunch from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment