Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Death Comes to Pemberley

Curiosity. I was intrigued when I heard that the venerable mystery writer, P.D. James, chose to set her latest novel, Death Comes to Pemberley, in the place, time, and characters of Jane Austen. Curiosity brought me to this novel, and James’ skill at mystery writing kept me interested. I suspect that both Austen and James fans are likely to come away from this novel with some degree of disappointment. Darcy, Elizabeth, Wickham and others are familiar characters to most readers, but they are set in our minds from Austen’s writing. James may be true to many aspects of these well-developed characters, but she sets them in a situation that is unlike anything that Austen would have done. Along the way, readers get an interesting mystery to read, but one neither great nor memorable.

Rating: Two-star (Mildly Recommended)
Click here to purchase Death Comes to Pemberley from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment