Monday, July 28, 2014

Things I Don't Want to Know: On Writing

Response. Deborah Levy’s book, Things I Don’t Want to Know: On Writing, is structured as a response to George Orwell’s famous 1946 essay, “Why I Write.” She heads each of four chapters with Orwell’s reasons: political purpose, historical impulse, sheer egoism and aesthetic enthusiasm. Levy’s take on these four areas is witty, feminist, and personal. Levy packs more into a single sentence than many writers can present in a chapter. Levy takes us to South Africa, Mallorca and England in a type of memoir. She led me to smile about depression, thanks to her fine prose. This is a quirky book that is unlikely to appeal to general readers. Literary fans are those most likely to enjoy her prose and understand her point of view. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Things I Don’t Want to Know from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment