Friday, September 26, 2014

Dear Committee Members

Academy. The structure of Julie Schumacher’s novel, Dear Committee Members, led me to think that I would lose interest quickly. We learn about the life of protagonist Jason Fitger, a creative writing college professor, through his letters of recommendation for students and staff. I expected inside baseball about life in academia. Instead, thanks to Schumacher’s fine writing, I laughed at the prose in Fitger’s letters, from the snarky to the caring messages he sends. Schumacher entertained me in three ways with this novel: through humor as noted; through poignant social commentary; and in developing a character who by the end of the novel becomes fully formed through the exposition in the letters of recommendation alone. Readers who enjoy fine prose along with a good laugh are those most likely to enjoy this unusual novel. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Dear Committee Members from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment