Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The First Bad Man

Uncomfortable. Fiction can introduce readers to characters and situations that are unlike our own experience, and we can become uncomfortable with the unusual. That was my reaction while reading Miranda July’s debut novel titled, The First Bad Man. While the characters and situations were unfamiliar to me, the universal themes resonated, and July’s finely written prose made me enjoy this novel very much. The odd but stable world of protagonist Cheryl Gluckman turns upside down when Clee moves in and a child is born. There’s a love story here that July handles with great skill. I was pleased to overcome my discomfort and enjoy this finely written novel. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The First Bad Man from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment