Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Life on the Road

Warmth. There are certain famous people who become so associated with their work that the warmth of an individual’s personality can become lost in the issues identified with that person. Any reader of Gloria Steinem’s humble memoir titled, My Life on the Road, will sense the warmth of Ms. Steinem on every page. The arc of her story involves her many travels from youth through the present, and a late discovery about the importance of home for her. Travel changes us, and Steinem writes with candor about the many ways in which travel changed her. The connection for me was vivid: I traveled to an unfamiliar church on Father’s Day 1972 to listen to Ms. Steinem deliver the sermon. I was moved enough to send a note to a new friend about that experience. That friend became my bride not long thereafter, and to whatever extent Steinem’s influence helped that happen, I am forever grateful. Readers with any interest in Steinem will find something to enjoy in this book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase My Life on the Road from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment