Friday, May 14, 2021

Kill Switch: The Rise of the Modern Senate and the Crippling of American Democracy

Obstruction. Until I read Adam Jentleson’s book titled, Kill Switch: The Rise of the Modern Senate and the Crippling of American Democracy, I thought I understood the filibuster tradition in the United States Senate. Thanks to this interesting book, I understand better the intentions of the founders in the structure of Congress and how the current use of the filibuster distorts the ways in which the minority is heard and then majority rules. The current state of obstruction means that we have, in effect, minority rule, a state of affairs anticipated by the founders who put in place a way for the minority views to be heard for a period of debate, then voting to represent the will of the majority. Readers interested in public policy are those most likely to enjoy this book. I learned more about the tradition of the filibuster and the ways in which obstruction has led to gridlock and thwarting the will of the majority of Americans. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Kill Switch from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment