Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity

Cranky. I sat down to read Richard Florida’s latest book, The Great Reset, with the expectation that he’d provide interesting data and insight into the aftermath of the current economic crisis. By the time I reached page 20, I tired of his capitalization of “Reset” as if that were a recognized proper noun, and when he used the capitalized phrase, “the First Reset,” I knew my patience was at an end, so I gave up and closed the book. While I felt a little like a cranky Andy Rooney, I decided it just wasn’t worth the energy to read a social science book that created its own terminology as if it were generally accepted. More patient readers than I might give this book a chance, but Florida turned me off early in the book, and it was easier to stop reading than to plow ahead.

Rating: Shelf of Ennui
Click here to purchase The Great Reset from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment