Thursday, June 7, 2012

The 500

Exciting. Matthew Quirk’s debut novel, The 500, has arrived just in time to please those summer readers who love a heart-pounding fast-paced plot. Protagonist Mike Ford has been recruited out of Harvard to work for the Davies Group, the most powerful consulting firm in D.C. Much of the action in the novel is so implausible that every reader’s willing suspension of disbelief is severely tested. I can almost imagine Quirk’s strain in deciding how to place Ford into a particular sticky situation, and then struggling to get him out. I kept reading because I found the excitement to become fun as the novel progressed, and once I gave in, it was easy to reach the end. I’m always willing to overlook a few clunky elements in a debut novel, and I was entertained by this one. Readers willing to give a first-time novelist a try should consider reading this novel. Rating: Three-star (Recommended) Click here to purchase The 500 from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment