Friday, June 15, 2012

Canada

Loss. It’s a rare novel that causes me to slow down my pace of reading. Richard Ford writes in a quiet and calm style that forces me to slow down, pay attention, and enjoy every sentence. His novel, Canada, is the best I’ve read this year, with one of the finest opening lines: “First, I’ll tell about the robbery our parents committed.” Not a wasted word there, and certainly a gripper. The narrator is Dell, and he and his twin sister, Berner, face great loss in their lives when they are in their teens. Ford’s masterful writing presents the motivations of characters with great care, and his deep understanding of human nature shows in his development of every character. Any reader who loves fine writing is likely to enjoy this novel. Rating: Four-star (Highly Recommended) Click here to purchase Canada from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment