Friday, February 22, 2013

The Casual Vacancy

Cruelty. The gloomy town inhabited by the troubled characters in J.K. Rowling’s novel, The Casual Vacancy, presents the worst possible components of community. People here are cruel to each other, neglect their needs and live close to one another but in separate worlds. The most appealing character in the novel dies in the first few pages. I slogged through all 500 pages immersed in the sadness of the many lives Rowling presents to readers. Some of the teens are more mature than the adults, and all characters have something to hide or are dealing with one struggle or another. I found that I finished the novel feeling depressed and saddened and concluded that the time I spent reading it could have been spent in better ways. Rating: Two-star (I don’t like it) Click here to purchase The Casual Vacancy from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment