Friday, July 18, 2014

The Bees

Buzzed. After I heard that the protagonist of Laline Paull’s debut novel, The Bees, is an insect, I opened the book with the expectation that I would set it aside after a few pages. Instead, I was drawn into the interesting community of bees and the adventures of Flora 717. Life in the hive requires cooperation and conformity. At times, special skills are needed, and a bee with the right qualities emerges to take on the task that needs doing. We see this world from Flora 717’s point of view, and see her conformity to what’s expected and the ways in which her qualities lead her to step outside her expected role. As in any community, there is friction in the hive, and life faces regular threats to existence. Paull allows readers to explore these issues alongside Flora 717 in an unusual and intriguing novel. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Bees from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment