Friday, November 20, 2015

The Moor's Account

Language. I added Laila Lalami’s novel, The Moor’s Account, to my bookshelf after it received some award nominations. It languished there for months while I read other books, When I finally read this fine work of historical fiction, I as delighted with how many things Lalami did so well. The point of view Lalami presents of an actual 1527 expedition by conquistador Pánfilo de Narváez to the New World is that of a Moroccan slave. Her descriptive language soars lyrically, and the voice she expresses through the slave is packed with themes of morality, race, religion and exploitation. Readers who like historical fiction and literary prose are those most likely to enjoy this creative and finely written novel. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase The Moor’s Account from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment