Friday, June 9, 2017

Four Princes: Henry VIII, Francis I, Charles V, Suleiman the Magnificent and the Obsessions that Forged Modern Europe

Transformation. As a casual reader of history, I gravitate toward books that synthesize and lean away from those that present detailed specialization. I was captivated by John Julius Norwich’s focus on the early 16th century titled, Four Princes: Henry VIII, Francis I, Charles V, Suleiman the Magnificent and the Obsessions that Forged Modern Europe. I enjoy the ways in which this talented historian connected these four rulers and explained with clarity how they led a dramatic transformation on the continent. I knew many things about each of these rulers before reading this book, but Norwich connected them in my brain and helped me understand what was happening in different parts of Europe at the same time. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Four Princes from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment