Thursday, July 23, 2020

Inland

Camel. I typically skip reading any books set in the past in the American West because the myths they present can be so predictable and weary to plod through. So I stared at Téa Obreht’s novel titled, Inland, for months before I opened it. Fans of fine literary fiction will enjoy her gorgeous prose, even when ghosts are involved. Readers who enjoy interesting and complex characters will appreciate both Nora who struggles after her husband left and Lurie who runs from his past but is well known because of the camel he rides. I never felt the plot was predictable, and I never tired of her prose. Those of us who travel with Obreht to Arizona in the 1890s are richly rewarded with fine writing about interesting people in a well-described place. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Inland from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment