Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ballistics

Charming. There are 56 poems in Billy Collins’ latest collection titled, Ballistics, after the title of one of the poems. In several of the poems, the narrator/poet is drinking tea, and so was I while reading most of these poems in spurts of three or four at a time. I’m sure that while I enjoyed his self-deprecating lines about poetry, himself, and other poets, I didn’t know the poets to whom he referred, even when he made it pretty easy to figure out. That in no way detracted from my enjoyment of these poems. Collins is assessable and charming as poets go, and his style brings me a lot of reading pleasure. The efficient way in which he notes the ordinary, and creates a few lines of beautiful poetry from everyday things, belies the skill it takes to come across with such apparent ease. Sit down with a cup of tea and read a poem or two. Relax and note something about the ordinary that displays beauty in your life.

Rating: Three-star (Recommended)

Click here to purchase Ballistics from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment