Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Zeitoun

Grounded. Disasters can have a scale that overwhelms observers and that can obscure the meaning of events to individuals. The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico reminded me that I’ve had a book in my reading queue about Hurricane Katrina that I hadn’t gotten around to reading. Dave Eggers’ book, Zeitoun, presents the life of Syrian immigrant Abdulrahman Zeitoun before and after Katrina, with a focus on the days following the storm and how Zeitoun was treated. This is a tragic story than personalizes and grounds a region-wide disaster into terms that become alive on a personal level. Eggers’ writing soars on these pages, and the gripping story moved and angered me.

Rating: Three-star (Recommended)
Click here to purchase Zeitoun from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment