Friday, September 10, 2010

Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality

Grave. I was unaware of the extent of longevity research until I read Jonathan Weiner’s entertaining new book, Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality. I found myself recalling the daily remark of a high school teacher who began each class with the glooming, but accurate, statement: “Here we are, one more day closer to the grave.” Weiner presents how some scientists are exploring ways to dramatically extend human life spans. The eccentric British scientist Aubrey de Grey provides much of the color in this story, and I found myself alternating between thinking of him as a visionary or a crackpot. Any reader who would like to ponder some of the what-ifs about extending life spans will find a lot to think about on the pages of this interesting book.

Rating: Four-star (Highly Recommended)
Click here to purchase Long for This World from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment