Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Complaints

Roles. About a hundred pages into Ian Rankin’s latest detective novel, The Complaints, my grief at the loss of long-time series protagonist Inspector Rebus departed. The protagonist of this novel is Malcolm Fox, and all he shares in common with Rebus is police work. Rankin presents and develops Fox as a complex character and places him in a complex plot with challenging twists and turns for readers to navigate as Rankin explores the roles that we play and how characters can transcend their roles and be victims of roles, often at the same time. It was when I realized how much I liked the novel and Fox that I let my grief for Rebus pass. Then I relaxed and enjoyed this finely written, interesting and entertaining detective novel.

Rating: Four-star (Highly Recommended)
Click here to purchase The Complaints from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment