Thursday, May 19, 2011

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

Patience. Reading Charles Yu’s debut novel, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, requires more patience than I have. While I completed it, and believe I understood many of Yu’s references, and even found myself laughing at times, I closed the book thinking that this book is just too strange for my taste, and probably that of most readers. I find that after watching some Doctor Who episodes, I am as bewildered at what happened as I was from this novel. Perhaps my mind isn’t structured to accept either time travel or science fiction with enough openness to lead to pleasure. Perhaps those readers who love science fiction will find more pleasure on these pages. Yu’s writing often soars, and readers who want to take a chance on a new author, and have some patience, may be rewarded by this unusual novel.

Rating: Two-star (Mildly Recommended)
Click here to purchase How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment