Thursday, January 24, 2013

Astray

Captive. With great skill in her story collection titled Astray, Emma Donoghue takes fourteen historical events and writes a story that brings to life characters and setting. I parceled myself one story a day, and came away from each story dazzled and satisfied. The efficiency of the short story requires a writer to manage every sentence with precision. I was held captive by Donoghue’s fine writing, and found every character to be well developed and their situations and behavior believable and insightful. I found her use of the first person narrator in several stories to be particularly effective. Readers who like short stories and fine writing should consider reading this excellent collection. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Astray from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment