Friday, July 26, 2013

Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway

Persistence. I often enjoy reading detective fiction because of a well-developed complex protagonist. I never quite warmed up to detective Claire DeWitt when I read Sara Gran’s second novel to feature this character titled, Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway. DeWitt is very persistent in this story set in the San Francisco area. Her former boyfriend, Paul, has been murdered, and she doggedly pursues every possible lead as she gets to the bottom of what happened. Interspersed with the current plot is a parallel story from Claire’s teenage years. Along the way, Claire consumes a lot of cocaine, which can’t be great for what Poirot calls the “little gray cells.” While I’ve enjoyed plenty of novels with troubled protagonists, for some reason or another, Claire DeWitt never quite came to life for me as a complete character. I persisted to the end of this novel, but probably won’t go back to read the debut, not am I likely to read the next one in the series. Rating: Three-star (It’s ok) Click here to purchase Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment