Monday, July 8, 2013

The Engagements

Rings. Readers looking for a sprawling novel to escape into this summer are not likely to be disappointed by J. Courtney Sullivan’s The Engagements. She creates an ensemble of characters with interesting connections, and links them together in interesting ways through diamond engagement rings. She weaves their narratives forward and backward, allowing readers to settle into their lives before moving along. We leave one couple at a reasonable break point, and when we return to them, it is as if we never left. Sullivan covers many decades in presenting this story, and every relationship comes alive through finely written prose. I was swept away into the lives Sullivan presents, and I found myself thoroughly entertained by the time I spent with these interesting characters. I think that any book club that selects this novel will engage in lively conversation, about the characters and about our own relationships and wedding rings. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase The Engagements from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment