Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Perfect Meal: In Search of the Lost Tastes of France

Tastes. I suspect that John Baxter’s book, The Perfect Meal: In Search of the Lost Tastes of France, will attract a fairly narrow band of readers. Francophiles and those who enjoy fine French cuisine are likely to be drawn to this book. Readers of a certain age (say those born in the first half of the twentieth century, not later) who mourn the loss of traditional foods, will love reading this book. Any reader who remembers with clarity meals eaten many years ago will find a kindred spirit in Baxter. I found his writing lively, and at times I noticed myself salivating at some of his descriptions. Taste can be a very personal thing, so read an excerpt first. If you enjoyed that bit, chances are you’ll be satisfied by the whole book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Perfect Meal from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment