Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Ghana Must Go

Broken. What I enjoy most about a finely written debut novel is the pleasure in savoring well-written prose from a new voice. Taiye Selasi’s debut novel, Ghana Must Go, gave me precisely that pleasure. The word choices always seemed perfect, and I found myself rereading some finely constructed sentences. This is the story of family and the life of Kweku Sai, a broken man whose life soared to the pinnacle of becoming a prominent surgeon in the United States and then crashed to his death in poverty in Ghana. We learn of this man in a meandering way through his former wife and his children. There is unconditional love and grief matched with resentment and sadness. Readers who like to experience new fiction voices should consider reading this book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Ghana Must Go from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment