Thursday, December 12, 2013

Alex

Revenge. I almost put aside Pierre Lemaitre’s novel, Alex, because I found too many of the images disturbing. I reverted from nighttime to daytime reading, and all was a bit better. Readers who like crime fiction with complex and twisting plots are those most likely to enjoy this novel. Two narrators present the story: Alex, whom we meet as she is kidnapped and tortured; and Commandant Camille Verhoeven, a widower who avoids kidnapping cases because of what happened to his wife. Lemaitre unfolds the plot through these voices, and rewards readers with unexpected twists. Revenge is a complicated subject, and in Lemaitre’s capable hands, it is expertly explored. Once I got over the gruesome details, I was entertained by the complicated plot and well-drawn characters. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Alex from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment