Friday, February 7, 2014

Jeeves and the Wedding Bells

Tribute. My first reaction upon hearing that Sebastian Faulks was writing a new novel reprising Jeeves and Wooster was: don’t mess with my Wodehouse. It was with trepidation that I opened Jeeves and the Wedding Bells, fearing the worst. After a dozen pages or so, my fears diminished, as I read what I’d call a tribute. I feared reading parody or a bumbling attempt at re-creation. Instead, the familiar characters come alive for contemporary readers, while remaining true to both the time period and the books by P.G. Wodehouse that preceded this one. If you’re a Jeeves & Wooster fan, take a gander at this new take on the old chaps. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Jeeves and the Wedding Bells from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment