Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Frog

Control. I added Mo Yan’s novel, Frog, to my reading queue because I knew he won the Nobel Prize in Literature, and I had not read anything by him. I now understand why the Nobel committee recognized and rewarded his writing. The subject of this novel is China’s one child policy, and Yan’s treatment reveals the ways in which this policy has devastating consequences for many people. He approaches the issue during different time periods and concludes with a play written by the protagonist, Tadpole. I found this to be an unusual and disturbing novel, packed with the strong emotions of individuals struggling to live as best they can in a society exerting strong control over their lives. Readers who have not read much fiction from Asia will find this novel helpful in understanding another culture. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Frog from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment