Wednesday, September 23, 2015

H Is for Hawk

Intense. I expected to browse a few pages of Helen Macdonald’s memoir titled, H Is for Hawk, and then set it aside. After all, I have no interest in goshawks or other birds of prey, and couldn’t imagine that this book would keep my attention. By the second page, Macdonald had me in her talons, thanks to her fine writing. I find that memoirs can offer readers insight into lives quite different from our own while providing insight into our own lives. Macdonald writes this memoir as she grieves her father’s death, and the raw intensity of her grief embeds the prose with its power. I think this is one of the finest explorations of grief that I have ever read. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase H Is for Hawk from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment