Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The State We're In: Maine Stories

Maine. One reason that I love to read short stories is that I can pick a time when I’m unlikely to be distracted and give my full attention to reading for a few minutes or maybe a half hour. I can stop after I finish a single story and feel a sense of satisfaction. In her collection title, The State We’re In, Ann Beattie offers glimpses into life. She often takes a sideways glance into something quite ordinary, and builds a story that can relate the fullness of life. Set mostly in Maine, the stories in this collection brought me back to that place and to the people who live there. For those readers who like short stories, and appreciate finely written prose, this collection will bring satisfaction. One sentence (p.51) remains with me: “No day failed to contain the unexpected.” Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The State We’re In from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment