Monday, October 26, 2015

Did You Ever Have a Family

Wedding. I savored so many components of Bill Clegg’s debut novel titled, Did You Ever Have a Family. I enjoyed the absence of a question mark in the title since it caught my attention immediately and made me think. Clegg uses multiple narrators to assemble points of view that reflect a wide range of human behavior, and tease out for a reader a slowly developed understanding of the pivotal action in the novel: a house fire the night before a wedding. I appreciate the tension among multiple characters, insight into small town community, and Clegg’s presentation of the long process of grief and forgiveness. Though finely written restrained prose, Clegg offers insight into how individuals can bear the unbearable. Fans of literary fiction and good writing are those most likely to enjoy this novel. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Did You Ever Have a Family from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment