Monday, October 26, 2015

Honeydew

Olympic. Twenty outstanding short stories are assembled in a collection titled, Honeydew, by Edith Pearlman. Were I commenting on an Olympic gymnastic performance, I would call attention to the ways in which Pearlman nails every landing. She has great endings to each of these stories, often in the form of a cunning twist. If that were the only skill presented, that would be enough to bring a reader pleasure. Her main achievement, in my view, is the skill with which she presents aspects of human nature with such precision that I was moved by her compassion and insight into the ordinary and its profound beauty and essential liveliness. There’s an authenticity in these stories that will reward most readers with insight and understanding about people like us. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Honeydew from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment