Friday, November 6, 2015

A Cure for Suicide

Consequence. I can’t even begin to pin down exactly what Jesse Ball accomplished in his finely written and unusual novel titled, A Cure for Suicide. What I do know is that I found his prose lyrical and perfectly constructed. At different times, I saw philosophical framing, psychological insight, a search for meaning, and an examination of love and memory. I gave myself over to the discovery of insight from the most ordinary things or events. Here’s an example, “I’ve always felt, said Emma, that people misunderstand consequence. Anything really can be the consequence of something else. That’s our human gift. So, when someone loses a paring knife, well, who is to say what will happen?” Ball presents this human gift for patient readers, and I, for one, unwrapped the gift with great pleasure. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase A Cure for Suicide from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment