Friday, November 20, 2015

Emma: A Modern Retelling

Fun. I’d like to imagine that prolific novelist Alexander McCall Smith had fun in writing Emma: A Modern Retelling. There were a few times while reading it that I was somewhat amused. By the end, I confirmed what I knew at the beginning: there’s far less satisfaction in retelling a classic story in a contemporary setting than there is in reading the classic itself or in reading a new contemporary novel. Chances are that if you like Jane Austen, there’s a high likelihood that you won’t enjoy this retelling of her classic novel. Chances are that if you like Smith’s writing and his many serial novels, you will find this diversion less enjoyable than more time with those familiar characters Smith created himself. Readers who are unfamiliar with both Austen and Smith are those most likely to enjoy this novel. Rating: Two-star (I didn’t like it) Click here to purchase Emma from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment