Friday, December 2, 2016

The Girls

Manson. I noticed that I kept getting tired while reading Emma Cline’s debut novel titled, The Girls. Set in 1960s California, the novel takes an intense look at the relationships among young women in a cult based largely on what we came to think of as the Manson family. I realized that I was sated by too much of a good thing. Emma Cline’s prose is so finely structured that I was receiving it as overwrought and would get tired reading good sentence after good sentence. There was a level of detail and a degree of intensity that I appreciated on many pages, but certainly not on every page. I found myself putting the novel aside to read something a bit less intense and with prose that flowed a bit more smoothly. Readers who appreciate carefully constructed literary fiction are those most likely to enjoy reading this novel. Rating: Three-star (It’s ok) Click here to purchase The Girls from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment