Thursday, February 23, 2017

4 3 2 1

Chance. My uncle broke his leg a few weeks before his ship was due to depart England for the United States. My father was then told by his brothers that he would now be the one chosen to emigrate to America. Had that chance accident not occurred, I might not have been born, let alone become the person who I am today. Paul Auster explores this notion of chance in his novel titled, 4 3 2 1. Given the brevity of his earlier novels, which I enjoyed, I was willing to commit the time to this book which is almost nine hundred pages long. I was richly rewarded by a clever structure and finely written prose. Auster presents protagonist Archie Ferguson in four variations. Pivots, luck, accidents led Ferguson in one direction or another. Auster spends long enough with each Ferguson so readers can see the similarities and differences. I enjoyed each Ferguson variation and expect that this novel will be enjoyed most by patient readers who enjoy finely written prose. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase 4 3 2 1 from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment