Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Huck Out West

Pards. When I was a teenager reading Huck Finn, the dialect conflicted so much with my Brooklyn patois that I struggled with understanding lots of sentences in the novel. The dialect in Robert Coover’s novel titled, Huck Out West, rang true to the original as Coover presents to readers an adventure set up by Twain: to escape civilization and head West. I re-read the original Twain before opening this sequel, and the refresher prepared me for the dialogue and the potential next steps for the renowned cast of characters. Both novels are stories about friendship, pards, as they would say in Coover’s version. The original is a great novel, and Coover’s sequel will entertain many readers who love these characters, that time period, and the sheer adventure. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Huck Out West from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment