Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The Universe in Your Hand

Teacher. On the rare occasions when physics comes up in conversation, my wife remarks that during our lifetime the study of physics and theology have come closer together. I always nod when she says that, but I don’t know what she means, and since she’s the theologian, I’m confident that she knows of what she speaks. Every now and then I want to read some science books written for a general audience, and I was thrilled with the ways in which Christophe Galfard taught me physics in his book titled, The Universe in Your Hand. Instead of explaining, Galfard asks us to imagine ourselves in different parts of the universe. I was enchanted by this book, and encourage those readers interested in things like black holes, string theory and dark matter to consider this book. It will amp up your conversations, but probably not with my wife, nor with my neighbor who chairs a university’s physics department. Readers who attended a Physics for Poets class are those most likely to enjoy reading this book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Universe in Your Hand from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment