Tuesday, October 15, 2019

In the Closet of the Vatican: Power, Homosexuality, Hypocrisy

Scandal. While I read Frédéric Martel’s almost six-hundred-page book titled, In the Closet of the Vatican: Power, Homosexuality, Hypocrisy, I found myself wondering why people were willing to talk to him and reveal the many examples of scandal and misbehavior that he reveals about the Catholic clergy. For whatever reason, they did as he conducted loads of interviews for this book over a long period of time and chronicles a story that most readers will find both sad and scandalous. I kept thinking about the reality that humans do stupid stuff and that goodness and evil exist side by side within each of us. After a while, though, I found the hypocrisy overwhelming, so I paced myself over several weeks while I read this book. Many readers will finish the book anxious for dramatic reform in the Catholic church and sad that such reform is highly unlikely during our lifetime. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase In the Closet of the Vatican from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment