Friday, January 10, 2020

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead

Blake. Every reader knows (or is) a character like Janina Duszejko, the protagonist of Olga Tokarczuk’s novel titled, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead. On some pages, Janina’s narration makes me laugh. I observe her translation of William Blake on another page (the book’s title comes from Blake), and step back several paces at her reaction to the death of her neighbor, whom she calls Big Foot. On some pages, I questioned her sanity, or checked in to verify my own. Janina loves animals more than people and her interactions with humans reflect that, while her cogent observations reveal her assessment of their characters. I’m a big fan of listening to eccentric voices, and not underestimating them. When more neighbors turn up dead, Janina writes to the police that the animals are pursuing justice. This novel is a perfectly paced thriller filled with superb writing and deep insight into human nature. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Drive Your Plow from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment