Friday, May 3, 2013

The Blue Book

Voyage. My patience was strained to its limits as I read A.L. Kennedy’s The Blue Book. I was getting a headache trying to figure out what was going on. Set on a transatlantic ocean liner, the narrator is a woman on a voyage with her fiancee when she encounters a former lover and fellow con artist. After I set the book aside to let my headache subside, I eased back into the voyage, leaving myself in Kennedy’s hands. I enjoyed much of the finely written prose, and found some parts witty. By the end, I was glad to have finished the novel, and felt somewhat accomplished in that I made it to the end of the book without an additional headache by no longer trying to dissect the stream of narrative. This novel will appeal most to patient readers of literary fiction who are comfortable with confusion and uncertainty. Rating: Two-star (I didn’t like it) Click here to purchase The Blue Book from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment