Friday, July 26, 2013

The Son

Texas. There’s more than enough summer left for readers to savor one of those big satisfying novels that involve lots of characters over many decades. Philipp Meyer’s novel, The Son, is as big as Texas itself and covers pioneers, Indians, Mexicans, oil barons, ranchers and enough plot and descriptive language to bring every person, place and time period to life. Meyer moves forward and backward in time, and that added to my enjoyment of the novel. He mines the richness of close family relationships and the tensions that exist in all families. He uses the history of the setting to present life as it was lived. Just about every dimension of human behavior, from the very worst to the very best, are covered in the novel, and even after almost six hundred pages, I was hungry for more while I was sated with all I read. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase The Son from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment