Monday, April 7, 2014

Bread and Butter

Tension. Michelle Wildgen grabbed me in the first few pages of her novel titled, Bread and Butter. She whetted my appetite to read more about this cast of characters who work in restaurants. When the youngest of three brothers returns home after a short life in academia and other pursuits to open a new restaurant, the stress and tension in relationships among the brothers takes center stage. Wildgen captures sibling relationships with great skill in the early parts of the novel. By the middle, the exposition slowed, and all relationships involved stress and tension for a variety of reasons. Just when my attention began to drift, Wildgen spiced up the narrative and brought the novel to a satisfying conclusion. Those who work in restaurants will know better whether she represents that crazy worklife with accuracy. For me, I was satisfied with this finely written presentation of contemporary life and relationships. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Bread and Butter from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment